A Happy Ending and a New Beginning

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 1

I came to rescue today because I have a liver shunt and my owners can’t afford to take care of me. I have not seen a veterinarian in 2 years and I am very, very sick. A rescue volunteer, Julie, picked me up. She named me Quillah because I have quite the will to live – ahhh! (She became very attached to me and I really like her, too).

You see, a liver shunt is an abnormal vessel that allows blood to bypass the liver. As a result the blood is not cleansed by the liver which is one of the body’s filters.
The liver then cannot metabolize animal protein correctly and produces ammonia. Ammonia becomes ammonium, which is a central nervous system depressant. This causes neurological symptoms because it can get to the brain.
I am slowly but surely being poisoned and I am dying.
Julie is horrified by my condition and she called the director of the rescue. It’s decided that it is imperative that I get to White Dog Cottage with all speed.

No comments: